Companies, institutions and industries require a system that interconnects their computers or information devices to build up a fast and secure communication. Suppose you work in a large institution which has various departments and sections. Now, you need to collect an electronic data in the computer of your department from any other department. For this, you need a network system that connects your computer to the computer of that department. Computer network technologies provide such systems. It is basically used for personal purposes. In this article, we are going to discuss the basic concepts on network technology, different types of networking, advantages and disadvantages of network technology.
Contents in this article:
- What is Network technology?
- Examples and uses of network technologies
- Types of Network technology
- Advantages of Network technology
- Disadvantages of Network technology
- Popular Network technology companies
What is Network technology?
The Network Technology is a kind of technology that provides a system to interconnect the computers and other electronic devices of a company or institution to develop a fast and secure communication system. Using a computer network technology, an institution can transmit and exchange electronic data among its computer systems in different sections or departments or infrastructures. Network administrators control this type of technologies.
Computer network, mobile network, device network, etc. are the applications of network technologies.
- Computer networking is the system that exchanges data between the computers.
- Mobile network is the system that enables the exchange of data among the mobiles.
- Device network is the system that allows the exchange in data among any electronic devices like computer, mobiles, tablets, etc.
Examples of Network technology
Any system that provides internet connection is an example of Network technology. Here are the most common examples of network technologies –
- The Wi-Fi connection at home or hostel is an example of network technology
- The local area networking (LAN connection) in an institution or any working place is another example of network technology.
- Artificial intelligence and Machine learning is also among the network technologies.
- Cloud network technology is another example.
Use of Network technology
Some of the examples that involves the usage of network technologies are listed below.
- Sending a text message, audio file or any data using email, WhatsApp, etc. are the examples of usage of network technologies.
- During transmitting a data from one device to other devices we use network technologies.
- Submission of online application for any job or exam uses the network system. Yes, you need to use network technologies to apply for a network technology job in a network technology company. [This sounds crazy].
What are the types of Network technologies?
There are mainly two types of Network technologies –
- Transmission based network technologies
- Scale based network technologies
Network technology based on transmission
One can set up transmission networking system using two different concepts –
- Point-to-point concept
- Multi-point concept
Point-to-point concept of transmission network technologies
In case of point-to-point networking, nodes in the network are connected directly. The data can be transmitted directly from one device to another. The transmission of data takes place via guided medium for the wired network and via unguided medium for the wireless network.
Multi-point concept of transmission network technologies
To transmit the data from one device to several devices we need to develop a network technology based on multi-point concept. In this networking system, several nodes are connected linearly via a common medium.
Network technology based on scale
There are different types of networking based on scale. The main 4 types of networking are as followings –
- Personal Area Network (PAN)
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
Apart from these networking, there are Virtual Private Network (VPN), Campus Area Network (CAN), Storage Area Network (SAN), Enterprise Private Network (EPN), etc. are the examples of scale based networking.
Here we are going to give a brief description on these networks.
PAN stands for Personal Area Network. It is a computer networking system that connects the electronic devices inside a very small area. PAN is used for personal purposes. It uses some low-powered devices like Bluetooth, USB, ZigBee, etc. to exchange data inside a small range of distance (typically 10-15 meters).
The full form of LAN is Local Area Network. LAN is a computer network that connects computers and laptops inside a small area or local area like a department of any college or university, a building like a hostel or other resident, etc. The typical range of a LAN network is about 100 m to 10 km. LAN can be both wired and wireless. A wired LAN requires cables and ports or Ethernet to connect computers inside this range and most of the wireless LANs use Wi-Fi to connect the computers, laptops, tablets and smartphones in its range.
MAN stands for Metropolitan Area Network. Its name itself suggests the range of this network. MAN is a computer network that connects the computers and laptops inside a metropolitan area or any other geometrical area of the size of a Metropolitan. It is the bigger network than the LAN. MAN is basically the interconnection of LANs in a metropolitan area.
The full form of WAN is Wide Area Network. A WAN connects users via computers, laptops, smartphones, etc. across a wide geographic area. In WAN, a group of nodes are interconnected by telecommunication links that helps to exchange message and other data among the users. The Internet is the example of a WAN. All LANs and MANs are connected to WAN to provide the connections among the users.
The term VPN has the full form as Virtual Private Network. It is a private network that enables users to send and receive data across the public network secretly without any limit. One can also change the location and IP address of a device by connecting it to other VPN. There are three types of VPN –
- Remote access
- Site-to-site VPN
- Extranet-based site-to-side VPN
Advantages of Network technology
Now, what are the advantages of computer network technologies? Here is a complete list of advantages –
- Computer networking makes the communication system very easy. In old days, we had to go physically to send a message at any place. Now, we can instantly exchange such messages sitting in our home or office.
- The physical communication was very costly due to the transportation cost and others. But we can communicate with the people using network technologies with a minimal cost of money.
- Computer network technologies are highly flexible.
- It is a time saving technology.
- We can share text, audio and video to any users connected with this technology.
Disadvantages of Network technology
Beside the advantages, the computer network technologies also have some disadvantages which are listed below.
- Networking technology has a risk of data to be stolen.
- To control this technology we need efficient technicians.
- There is a possibility of attacking the devices by viruses and malware.
- It needs an exclusive set-up to use which is hard to handle for many people.
- Computer network technologies are harmful for the birds and some other animals. Even human can also be affected with these technologies.
Popular Network technology companies
There are number of network technology companies across the world. These companies provide networking to the users. Also, they offer jobs to the suitable candidates in their companies. Here is the list of some popular networking companies –
- Arista network
- Aruba networks
- Big switch networks
- Cisco systems
- Cumulus networks
- Dell EMC
- Extreme network
- Juniper networks
Frequently asked questions on Computer Networking
- What network technology supports the cloud? Answer: Personal Area Network (PAN), Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN) and the internet of internets support the cloud computing.
- What is the latest network technology? Answer: A) 5G technology. B) Artificial intelligence and machine learning.
This is all from this article on computer networking technology. If you have any doubt or query on this topic you can ask me in the comment section.
Thank you for reading this post. You can visit other posts on this site from the menu bar at top or from the related posts at below.